Monday, August 28, 2006

The building of "I"



Three days a week I ride past this "empty" statue plinth. It was set up a summer ago and as a Buddhist it really has a lot to say. If you do not know German, "ich" means "I" and most the time when I pass by, people are taking their pictures standing on the plinth and as I look up at them I notice how separated they look from everything else around. So, this week I decided to climb up on the plinth and I found out it is a feeling of being separate from everything, above everything, really a strong "ich"! And, of course, when no one is up on the statue it is empty of "ich"! The first two lines in German on the sign read: "Each person is unique/ That is of course also true for all creatures"---and I think most of us would agree with that and that is why the Net of Indra is such a beautiful analogy. However, the last line reads: "Keep it always here"---and then they have a symbol of a camera to take a picture. In other words: "Try to make it permanent!" Just what we don't want to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home