Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Do not debase the Three Treasures

Well, tomorrow the physical part of my journey to Jukai starts. This time tomorrow I'll be sitting on a plane on my way to London and then from London to Newcastle and from there bus, train and taxi to Throssel Hole. A long way...and a long way since I wanted to go to Jukai for the first time. As I looked at this Precept this morning I saw what Dogen wrote:

"To do something by ourselves, without copying others, is to become an example to the world and the merit of doing such a thing becomes the source of all wisdom: do not criticise: accept everything."
Those last words are probably the hardest I can imagine and yet they are surely what "opens the Gate", somehow I can feel the Wisdom in them.
Then I saw what Rev. Master MacPhillamy wrote about the Precept:
"Since these are my true refuge and the very Way, how could I turn from them myself, much less cause doubt about them to arise in others."
These are very powerful words for me, especially since there were already two times in my life where I turned away from Buddhism: first of all for many of my own selfish reasons, but also because of listening to others who said it was not possible for me to be "Buddhist" because of who I was. Rev. Master Morgan wrote about the Precept:
"Do not do that which denies the Buddha Nature in yourself or in others. Do not criticise but be willing to see the Buddha. We cannot see the hearts of others nor can we understand the true purpose of things whilst we set ourselves apart from them. Cynicism in the end leads to despair."
I am so grateful to everyone who has helped me to step out of this despair that I felt for a long time. The deepest wish of my heart has been to lead a spiritual life and how wonderful to be on that path now! How wonderful that the Still Small Voice never goes silent, but always continues to whisper!
I would also like to take the opportunity to offer the merit of this blog to Gary Bodin. He was my very first parnter when I was only 19 years old. He was 12 years older than I and taught me so much that helped me in life. I was also with him the first time I went to Shasta Abbey. Gary died from AIDS in 1992 and suffered a lot in his last days. Today, interestingly enough, would have been his 52 birthday.
I think the words to keep in my heart on my journey for the next ten days are:
"be willing to see the Buddha."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home