Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Do not steal/ Do not take that which is not given

At first I thought that this was too easy, just like killing. I mean I've never killed anyone and I most certainly haven't stolen. Since I was a child, I've been taught that stealing is wrong. Yet, when I really looked at this Precept, it was very clear...there are many times when I have taken that which was not being given or even taken more than was needed. There are the times, after teaching a seminar or someone in a one-to-one English course, where the whole teaching hour was not used...maybe just a few minutes, should I charge for that, is it stealing if I do? Those are the situations where careful thought must be given.

I have also seen that taking more than I need because of the "I want" coming into the picture that that is also a form of stealing. I tried to be careful now and really think, is this necessary and how much of "this"---whatever it is---do I really need. I tend to have my greatest problems with the next Precept, which I'll write a bit about tomorrow: Coveting, wanting, having, clinging, clutching, wanting more, not having enough of whatever. Stealing and coveting tend to have a very close connection for me.

I know as I worked through my addiction problems, I "stole" many people's peace of mind, especially those I love the most!

Do not take that which is not given!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home